The Pawiak Prison Museum is a former investigative prison, which had particular importance during the World War II. It held people arrested in roundups, members of the resistance and political prisoners. Located in the centre of Warsaw, the prison walls witnessed mass crimes that shocked the occupied city. About 37,000 prisoners were shot there, and about 60,000 were sent on to concentration and labour camps, after interrogation and torture behind its walls. Although there is an emphasis on the period of German occupation, the exhibition "Pawiak 1835-1944" covers the entire period of activity of the prison, and is based on an original design which was created by renowned Warsaw architect Henryk Marconi between 1830-1836.